
Woody Allen once said that "90% of life is just showing up". The movie Invincible proves the point. It is based upon the true story of Vince Papale, a down and out Philedelphia bar tender / substitute school teacher who never played a down of college football. The movie starts out with Vince's wife of 5 years leaving him. He is understandably distraught. Being a huge Philadelphia Eagles fan and not having anything else to do, Vince decides to attend an open try out at the urging of his bar buddies.
The movie stars Mark Wahlberg as Vince. and the easy on the eyes Elizabeth Banks as Janet, his fellow bartender and eventual love interest (and also eventual wife, but the movie does not go that far). Thier on screen chemistry is very good.The movie also stars Greg Kinnear as Eagles coach Dick Vermeil. Some have faulted Greg being cast in this role, and I can see how it might not be ideal. However, I do not think it really affected the movie negatively. Overall I thought the movie was well acted. I particularly liked Michael Rispoli ("While You Were Sleeping", "The Sopranos", etc) as Max the bar owner.
I do not think I am giving away much to tell you that he makes the team. This is a feel good sports movie in the same vein as "The Rookie" (which was produced by the same folks) and "Rocky" (which also took place in Philadelphia). Some have complained about the obvious plot. I mean sure, they could have had a blimp attack the stadium or something, but then that would have been a whole different movie. Overall I thought the plot was fine. Sure it was what I was expecting, but I think that is good, not bad.
Some have complained that the movie is not 100% true to facts. For example, although it is true that he did not play college ball, Vince did play a couple of years of pro ball with a now defunct football league. The movie does not purport to be a documentary. It is a good story as is, and it is supposed to be entertainment, and in that I think it succeeds very well.
This movie is rated PG. It is rather amazing for a modern movie that the director depicted the rough side of Philadelphia without a single cuss word. The only reason I think this movie did not get a G rating is because of the rough football action.
Ok, there is one part where Vince and Janet go into his apartment together before they are married. I bet they had wild passionate sex, but it would be pure speculation on my part because they do not show us past the front door. There is no nudity.
I believe this movie is suitable for any age that would be interested in seeing it.
The tagline for this movie is: "Dreams are not lived on the sidelines" and I truly believe that is a life lesson for all of us.
Ok, bottom line: I enjoyed every minute of this movie, especially the ending with the pictures of the real Vince playing.

Mark Wahlberg and Elizabeth Banks at the premiere of Invincible.
The real Vince and Janet Papale and their children at the premiere. Vince's son had a cameo in the movie. He is the kid with Vince's number taped to his shirt.
6 comments:
Thanks for the review. I'll put it on my Netflix list.
By they way your blog is way cooler than mine...
Thank you Sarah. I just happened to luck into a good template. Search google for "blogger templates" to find lots of choices.
However I do not think of it as a competition. I appreciate your blog contribution to my entertainment. I figure if we all do our part we will all get through this together.
I am looking forward to this blog! I like to read your reviews.
Way Kool template. Love it. Haven't heard of this movie out here, but I'll keep an eye out for it.
Chris, this whole blog is a great idea! I want to see this movie, predictable or not. I'm taking Megan because the message that you can live your dreams if you want to badly enough is a great one. I let too many of mine pass me by, probably out of fear of failure. Thanks for the review - I'm looking forward to more and I'm certainly bookmarking this one!
Good movie, although I found Elizabeth Banks THOROUGHLY annoying.
Post a Comment